First Date Do's and Don'ts
First dates are very nerve racking and often leave us shy, silent and blowing are chances of getting a second one because we weren`t prepared
for this one. Here are some pointers to help you get the best start and make a good impression.
1. Be on time
- The last thing you want to do is make a bad impression on your date. If you are late they will think that you don`t care and worse still might not hang around for you to turn up.
2. Make your partner feel comfortable
- We all feel like a bag of nerves on our first date with someone; so by making them feel comfortable you will also be able to relax and enjoy yourself.
3. Be an interesting date
- The worse thing you can do is turn up for a date with someone then sit there all night and talk or worse still talking and not making sense or having nothing good to talk about.
4. Laugh at their jokes
- Even if you have heard the joke 100 times or more (or it just isn`t funny at all) laughing a long with them will make them feel you are interested in them.
5. Keep the conversation alive - That dreaded silence when no one knows what to say can seem to last for a life time and will make
both of you think the other is boring. Jot down a few questions you would like to ask. Practicing for the date can make all the difference and once you have started the rest will just follow. Here are a few conversation starters you could use.
6. Take an interest in them
- Listen to them when they are talking. Be interested in what they have to say and show how interested you are by asking them questions about what they like to do etc..
7. Take them somewhere unique
- First dates don`t just have to be about going to the cinema or to a restaurant for a nice meal. You will make a longer, lasting impression if you are imaginative with your date.
8. Be confident - Confidence says a lot about a person. Being more confident will help you get through that first date with ease.
9. Be yourself -
You won`t fool anyone by pretending to be someone you are not. Also if you are wanting to continue seeing them, the real you will come out eventually and they may no longer be interested.
10. Most importantly - STAY SAFE. Check out our guide to dating safely
1. Be late - First impressions count and if you are late this will make them think of you as lazy, having lack of responsibilities, etc..
2. Talk about yourself all night
- There is nothing worse then a person that loves to talk about themselves all the time. How vain can you get?
3. Talk about past relationships all night
- May be that`s how you lost the last one. Nobody wants to hear you drone on about your ex and what they did or didn`t do. Concentrate on this one and see if you can get to the second date.
4. Eat with your mouth open - Just the thought of it makes my stomach turn so save your date the horrible experience.
5. Ask too many personal questions
- This is your first date and they won`t want to reveal to much about themselves just yet. If you like each other and want to continue with the relationship then there will be plenty of time to ask questions.
6. Try to be something you are not
- You will only attract the way that you act and if that is not the real you, when the real you does come out the other person will not be interested. Find someone that will want you for you not for what you are pretending to be.
7. Forget to thank them for the date
- Not only is this good manners but this is where you will get your chance to end it if you are not interested or for you to ask them out on another date if you would like to see them again.
8. Propose marriage or kids - Unless you don`t want to see them again.
9. Pursue sex after your partner has said no
10. Don`t get drunk
- You don`t want to spend half the night in the toilet vomiting and your date won`t think much of you. You can also put yourself at risk of unwanted advances and will not be in the right frame of mind or body to do anything about it.